Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

Default Hechinger - use caution

Hechinger's was also noted as being opposed to individual rights, i.e. the
right of individuals (you & me for example) to purchase and own personal
firearms. It seems that the idea of what an individual with a gun MIGHT DO
was the primary consideration. Kinda make you think about how Hechinger's
views printing presses, huh?

"Steve W" wrote in message
. com...
If you are considering buying tools from this site, use caution. For
those that want to skip the story, here is a quick summary of my
experience:

They did not respond to multiple cancellation emails sent within 12 hours
of an order.
They did not respond to phone requests to confirm the cancellation made
within 24 hours.
They billed my credit card two weeks before they shipped it (in spite of
the attempted cancel).
They would not help me stop shipment.
They did not respond to the AmEx inquiry after I asked for a hold on the
payment.

Here are the details:

I ordered a TS on 3/23, but found it for about 150.00 less on Amazon later
that day. According to Hechinger's site, orders can be cancelled without
a fee before shipping. I cancelled the order less than 12 hours after it
was placed, then called them the next morning to confirm the cancellation
before ordering the other TS. The rep told me she could not confirm, but
she would give the information to the cancellation department who would
get back to me within a week. This sounded a little fishy to me, but with
the way Amazon prices bounce around I went ahead and ordered the other
saw.

The Amazon order went through fine and I had the saw within a week. then,
on 4/5/06 I got a shipping notice from Hechinger! I emailed them, called
them and called the shipping company to stop the shipment. Everyone said
they could not stop it en route and the Hechinger rep could not explain
why the order was not cancelled after 2 emails and 2 phone calls to be
sure on 3/24. By the way, I never did get the cancellation confirmation
email or any email response at all for that matter.

I asked AmEx to stop payment and they said they had already charged my
card on 3/24! AmEx investigated the claim to get Hechinger's side of the
story. Hechinger never responded to them so AmEx refunded my money. I was
able to send to saw back when the delivery guy called me to schedule the
drop off. A close call, but I came out of it ok.

Not only is their shipping slow by modern standards, but they seem to
either be very disorganized or dishonest. I have never had an online
shopping experience like this and suggest others steer clear to avoid a
similar problem.

-Steve