Posted to alt.home.repair

Default damage from ethanol?

Michael Daly wrote:
On 12-May-2006, wrote:

Let;s see, in the last 20 years we've already
dramatically raised the MPG of cars.

There's hyperbole if I've ever seen it. In _fact_ the fuel consumption
per vehicle is _higher_ today than at any time since CAFE standards
were introduced. CAFE is based on one of each vehicle, not the average
of what is actually sold. Since light trucks (pickups, minivans and SUVs)
outsell cars (and have been outside of CAFE) the actual consumption of fuel
per vehicle is _high_. What many environmentalists, and not just the kooks,
know is that this fact is working against conservation.

Oh, yes - most of the improvements in fuel economy within CAFE is the result
of Japanese cars, not American. If the American companies weren't selling
relabeled Japanese cars, they've had a hard time meeting CAFE restrictions.
(e.g. GM linked with Suzuki, Ford with Mazda, Chrysler with Mitsubishi).

Americans live beyond their means. And that includes not just financial
(negative savings rates and high debt loads) but in terms of energy consumption
per capita. _That_ has to change as it's unsupportable.

Typical liberal BS. Bad Americans live beyound there means. American
companies haven;t done anything to improve fuel economy, despite that
CAFE for cars was 13.6MPG in 1974, it's 29.3 in 2004. Or what they
have done through cooperation with foreign companies doesn't count.
We should all adjust our living standard so it's more in line with
China, or Cuba, then you'd be happy.

We've put billions into more mass transit

What Americans call "mass transit", the rest of the western world calls a joke.
Americans don't understand, build or use mass transit in any way resembling
reasonable.

It's pretty clear we have done a lot to
conserve energy, just like the enviromental extremists want.

A lot of talk is not the same as action.

Mike

Typical whacko enviromental extremist position. Nothing America does
counts or is right. We should all live in caves because YOU say so.
All the while the likes of Robert Kennedy, go flying in private jets,
driving SUV's and living in multiple homes. As do all the liberal
elite. How many houses do Kerry, Streissand and the like have? Many
even have heated garages. Then they fly off in private jets to go
skiing at Vail and preach this crap to the rest of America. What a
crock!