Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Sherman

Default Holes in block foundation wall

No wrote:
Mark Sherman wrote:

We had a problem at the house and I had to unfinish the basement.
It's now just block wall with some kind of paint on it.

The electrical aspect is a mess. The service panel needs to be
secured and nomex running to switches and outlets is hideous.
Everything is just hanging down the wall.

So, my question is, can I drill holes in the block or morter for
concrete anchors to allow the securing of the panel, the mounting of
raceways and new outlet boxes, etc.

I found some nice blue concrete bolts (they call them anchors)
but it's basically just an 1/8th inch diameter bolt that tightens into
a drilled hole. No 1/4 inch hole for an anchor insert needed.

Is it ok to put these holes in my block basement walls?

TIA

I would attach an over sized piece of plywood and attach your panel to
that. The blue things are called tap-cons. Attach them to the mortar
joints. Make sure you do not make the hole over sized. It needs to be
precise for those things to hold.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

I did build a wooden mounting panel to mount to the wall for the service
panel to mount to.
I can see that the hole needs to be precise. The pack of tap-cons I
purchased came with a long drill bit included.
It would also appear that over tightning these things would be a big no-no.

I wonder how strong they are. I was going to use 6 (3 each side)
for the heavy service panel.

I guess it's ok to drill the holes?