Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Default Making my own coax cables

toronado455 wrote:
The F-connectors I got have really short sleeves and the inner tube
thing that fits onto the dielectric is smallish. I've seen different
types of F-connectors and some of my coax cable (labeled Belden 8228)
has a larger diameter dielectric. So I guess I'll need to get some
different F-connectors.

The little F connectors you have are for RG-59 and they aren't designed
for use with hex crimp tools. For those you need a ring-crimp tool.
Personally I don't like the round ring-style crimp connectors. The
shield connection is unreliable.

If you have different types of coax you need to match the connector to
the cable you are using.

I don't recognize Belden 8228. Is this an RG-59 or RG-6 sized coax?