Posted to sci.electronics.repair
toronado455

Default Making my own coax cables

Travis,

Thanks for the links. I picked up a good Data Shark round cable cutter
at Fry's yesterday for only $6. I also got a cheap, generic crimping
tool for $7.50 just to see how they work. I tried crimping on an
F-connector yesterday for the first time. It took several tries and I
cracked the sleeve on the connector on the first try. I don't have a
stripper yet so I'm still manually stripping the sheidling. They had an
"RCA" brand stripper for $20 that I almost got but it looked the same
as the one you posted for only $10 so I think I'll get that one
instead.

The F-connectors I got have really short sleeves and the inner tube
thing that fits onto the dielectric is smallish. I've seen different
types of F-connectors and some of my coax cable (labeled Belden 8228)
has a larger diameter dielectric. So I guess I'll need to get some
different F-connectors.

Travis Jordan wrote:
toronado455 wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
And what connectors? BNC, F, Type N, SMC, Mini UHF, TNC, or ?

TV coax...OK.

For RG-6/U I just use a good pair of diagonal cutters for cutting.

For stripping and crimping I like these two reasonably priced tools.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=360-016
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=360-048