Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Undfer floor heating in conservatory revisted

"ChrisJ" wrote in
message ...
Thanks to all those who replied to my last post back in February.

We used a ramp made from scaffold as the back door is at the bottom of the
steps so we couldn't pile rubble there. The ramp has been great. Got lots
of other garden jobs done at the same time! The wheel barrow worked a
treat even without a huge run up.

As the garden itself is pretty flat due to having been terraced when built
the precautions from The Natural Philosopher were great but not required.

The conservatory is on the north face of the house. The east wall of the
conservatory is all block, the north and west faces all glass.
We have gone for suspended timber floor. The joists are 12"x1" at 12"
centres and are at the same height as the current floor so teh damp proof
runs through. We've got the water laid on from the new bolier to just
inside the house where the door to the conservatory will be ready to run
the pipes to.

Quotes for electric and wet kits are about the same at around £400 for
4mx3.5m incl thermostats etc.
So I've learned that
Electric is easier to install but more expensive to run.
Wet is cheaper to run but more expensive to install.

My new question is will electric UFH warm up the room quicker and if so by
how much? Will it halve the warm up time or will the fact that the heat
loss will be so great counteract this?

Its probably going to be used at the weekends in the spring/ autumn/
winter for the kids to play in and in the evenings in the "summer". If we
want to spend a whole summer evening down there and it gets chilly at 9pm
we don't want to have to wait until 11pm for the room to get warm. Equally
we don't want to have to turn the heating on at 7pm in order to be warm at
9.

Also is it a big job to run the wet UFH at different times to the rest of
the house central heating? Our room is in the loft so warms up when the
house heating comes on. We don't want to be baked out of bed by the whole
system coming on when we only need to take the chill off the conservatory.
It normally comes on at around 6am. Obviously electric UFH has its own
completely independant timer.

Any comments?

A neighbour just had a new conservatory and had electric UFH heating
installed. It is so expensive to run they just do not use it.
Conservatories are best heated by Myson convector heaters run off the CH hot
water system. These can be at high level. You switch on a few minutes
before you enter and they heat up fast. Switch off when you leave.

Go to fan convectors:
http://www.myson.co.uk/product.asp