Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Is a separate stall shower really a good thing?

"dgk" wrote in message
I have a small house (18' wide) that has a small bathroom The odd
thing to me is that there is a stall shower and a separate tub without
a shower. I can't understand why they wasted space by not combining
them, and I have another thread going about replacing the tub and
installing a shower. But, my original thought was to demolish the
shower stall and open up the area and perhaps put in a small cabinet
(and place for the cat litterbox) and have room for a nicer sink area.

However I was talked out of removing the shower on the grounds that a
separate stall shower is a big selling point and that people really
like them. Is it true? I would think that having an open room would be
nicer. Currently there is a narrow corridor as you enter the bathroom
because the stall shower (big tile thing) is on the left as you enter
the bathroom, and then it opens up as you pass by. Plus, the shower is
dark because it faces the corridor and the only light that gets in is
reflecting in.

Thoughts welcome.

Lots of opinions here! I had a long list of things I wanted when house
hunting. A separate stall shower was nowhere on the list. I'd rather have
the space. There's nothing wrong with showers in tubs, unless it's difficult
for someone in the house to step over the side of the tub.