Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Anyone turned Ironwood?

On 11 May 2006 20:14:34 -0700, wrote:

I don't know where you are, but unless you are somewhere in the
soutwest area of the US, it probably isn't actually "Ironwood" but more
likely just harder than hell.

Real ironwood is almost never that big because it is a desert tree, and
even a large tree from many years ago would have trouble supplying a
beam of the porportion you describe.

On the other hand, if it is indeed the real thing, you should get all
you can haul as it is quite valuable, and you should be able to get a
fortune for it if you can mill it into pen blanks, handle blanks, and
carving blanks.

The stuff I see (only in small pieces) is hard, dense, and slightly
oily. However, it is a favorite wood of the traditional Mexican
craftsmen ( I live in San Antonio, Texas) to carve as it carves quite
well with little splintering.

I couldn't even guess what a log that size might weigh... 200 pounds?
More?

I like Patriarch's idea. Take a piece home, chuck it up and cut into
it and see what you have. If you like it, grab it.

Robert

ADDED CAUTION: Use your stud finder/metal detector first!! DAMHIKT

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis