Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Bending an eyebolt. . .

The hardware store eyebolts (eye is formed from rod and not welded) are
usually hot rolled steel that bends easily without heat. Just stick in
the vice and use an adjustable wrench. Of course, they have no strength
to begin with so nothing lost.

I might add that my local home store had some inexpensive "1/4 inch"
(rod diameter) eyebolts. When I got them home and tried to add some
additional mounting nuts, it worked out they were 6mm metric. They got
them back as "mismarked and misleading"

Ted Bennett wrote:
. . .is officially a Bad Idea, just like bending any bolt, but if
someone [cough] wanted to have the eyes of a couple eyebolts knocked
over about 45 degrees, is heat a good idea? How much attention should be
paid to the radius of the curve?

These would be small eyebolts, the i.d. of the eye is about 3/8 in. Not
much force will be applied in service; it's to attach a small instrument
panel to a plastic panel in a motorcycle.

Suggestions, jeering etc. are welcome.