Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default collapsed compression joints

"George Tingsley" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"George Tingsley" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senle flatulence wrote:

In article .com,
George Tingsley wrote:

I had a rummage in my fittings box and turned up a few old carded
compression fittings
A few facts quoted from the manufactures which you would hope know
more
about their products then a diyforum

By Opella
Usual cleaning info
Apply PTFE tape to male fitting threads only
Hand tighten nut then spanner tighten nut further 1/2 turn 15mm 3/4
turn 22mm
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN- in large print

I am full pro. You come across as a bodger.
You certainly don't fully
understand how a compression joint
makes its seal.

I repeat, wrapping PTFE on a parallel
thread on a compression fitting body
that a compression nut runs along,
serves no purpose whatsoever except waste
PTFE tape.

Look Drivel I will type this very very
slowly since you have pro
reading difficulties

Idiotic bodger, read what I wrote,. Read it 5 times. Whatever you don't
understand get back to me.

I have repeatedly said that you
should not use ptfe on the Olive of a
compression fitting as your mate DP has suggested

The senile one is not my mate, and debating with a such an obvious senile
person is futile.

I even included this web page with pictures to show
http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/boa...on_fitting.htm
why you should not and why you should not over tighten
and that it is the olive alone that forms the water-gas seal

We all know you don't overtighten compression fitting, the senile one
doesn't.

I have never on this subject said or implied that the use of ptfe on
the
threads of a compression fitting would make a better seal or stop a
leak
The manufactures are not claming that this helps make a better
seal
its Recommended use on compression fitting threads is for its thread
lubricating and anti-seize properties
at least your mate plowman seems to understand the simple principle of
brass to brass contact but then wraps the olive in ptfe instead of the
threads

You put silicon grease on the threads not PTFE for anti-seize.