Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default Water drained from Water Softener? Harmful to lawn?

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Would the effluent from a water softener be harmful
to grass and other vegetation?

"Harmful" would be an understatement. It would be devastating.

In my MUCH younger days, as newer owner of a malfunctioning water softener, I
used my shop vac to remove the standing water in the salt storage tank.

I checked my brain at the door, rolled the shop vac just outside the garage
door and dumped its contents onto my lawn. (Note: I didn't say "yard", this
was a fine, bluegrass lawn.)

A day later I noticed the area turning brown. I didn't give it much thought.
The next day the condition was worse. Only then did I realize what I had
done. I proceeded to irrigate the area profusely. It was to no avail.

William Tecumseh Sherman couldn't have done a better job of "nuking" this
ground. I never got around to replacing the soil and it took several YEARS
for the damaged area to fully recover.

Connect the drain system of the water softener to any sanitary inlet. Mine
empties into the floor drain.
--

JR