Gary H. Lucas

Default Bloody cap screws...

"Anthony" wrote in message
"Robin S." wrote in
:

I have to work on Chinese/Taiwanese lathes at work. For some reason,
they decided to have every single clamping screw, that didn't have a
handle attached, a cap screw.

Cap screws are fine and dandy until they get filled up with coolant
and chips and I have to fiddle-fart around with them every time I want
to move the depth stop or compound or saddle clamp.

Of course, by the end of making a part, I'm super-****ed due to these
stupid screws and having to use a lathe graduated in .04mm increments
(learning how to count in 4's now) and who knows how many
millimetres/rev (inch leadscrews).

Anyway, has anyone thought up some kind of clamping fastener that
doesn't require a tool but fits into counterbored screw holes? I'm
mostly venting (perhaps someone will enlighten me as to why they do
this???) but I do like to make things easier for myself. There's
nothing I hate more than to have to fiddle around with a machine
instead of with the part I'm trying to make.

/rant

Regards,

Robin

Robin,
Check out Reid Tool.
Something like this:
http://www.reidtool.com/store/store/...dProducts.asp?
idCategory=6413 is probably what you want. Although the page I pasted is
for Inch series, they offer metric also. We use these things all over the
place for adjustments. The handle disengages with a pull up, so they work
well where you only have limited radial clearance.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

I made round spacers to go in the counterbore so the handle itself sits
above the surface. I've done that on every machine I've ever worked on
where adjustments are frequent. Even have them on the mill vise stop.
Always amazes me how many people search fro the wrench to move the stop.

Gary H. Lucas