Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

Default fire proofing shop

As others have said, use drywall. If you don't know how or don't
want to tape, hire it done or use fire tape:
http://www.eztapingsystem.com/fire_tape.htm

You can install a layer of wafer board under the drywall. This
will provide an abuse resistant wall which will allow you to
fasten screws, cabinets, tool racks, etc anywhere you want.
Cement board (Durock, Wonder Board) will not give you a very
useable wall surface and would require taping or sealing to
protect the studs in a fire. I'm not sure what aspenite is. I
wouldn't spend the money on intumescent paint. How are you
protecting the second floor? Fires go up long before they go
sideways.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have built a two story 30' x 40' stick framed shop. The main
floor
is separated into two sections, one which I plan to insulate,
houses my
machine tools, the other I use for welding, car repair etc.
Niether
area is panelled yet and I tying to decide how I should go about
it.
My current idea for the welding area is to cover the lower 48"
with
cement board ($30 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and the remainder with
Aspenite
covered in flame retardent paint ($11 for a 4 x 8 sheet). I do
not
want to use drywall because I do not want to tape it and it will
get
all bashed up. Does anyone have an opinion on the flame
retardent
paint?

stan