Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default how much to heat a pool

My pool is 16x40 lazy L shape, in southern NY. I had solar panels which
worked fine only on days when you wouldn't have needed them anyway. I
installed a propane heater and use it sparingly. I go through roughly two
100 gal tanks in a season. Gas was around $2.00 per gal

"PipeDown" wrote in message
k.net...
A friend of mine is considering adding a gas heater to his outdoor pool.
Without getting into too many parameters (size, location, usage etc) I just
want a few price points to get an idea of the magnitude of the cost others
are paying for energy (not the equipment).

To those who own heated pools:
If you would, please estimate how much more your energy bill is per month
to heat your pool and tell me what region you live in and if you heat it
full time or periodically so I can get a feel for the cost.

I assume he will also add an insulated pool cover at the same time if it
even gets done.

He is not a candidate for passive solar as he would like the option of
heating it in the winter if he wants (mild SF bay area winter)