Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Default Plan for Basement Electrical Outlets - Feedback Please

By pigtailing you avoid the chance that a loose connection on any one outlet
would affect the downstream outlets. It is especially important when using
12-3 to pigtail the neutrals. This way if you have to replace an outlet,
you don't "open" your neutral circuit to the downstream outlets. It's just
good practice to never use the outlet as a connection by putting 4 wires on
it.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
What do you mean when you say: "Be sure to pigtail out when you land
the outlets." ?

I'm looking at a wiring diagram in my DIY book and I think I see what
you're talking about. But, what's the purpose of the pigtails? They
don't look like they perform any function..