Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Is my moisture meter working?

I just bought a "MD-26 Timber Moisture Meter".

All the wood in my basement, be it stored hardwood or construction 2x4s,
measures 6% moisture. The wood in my 1st and 2nd story (completed projects)
do not register; presumably below 6%.

I bought the meter because I just cut and stickered a 4' high pile of
walnut, also in my basement. The wood at the bottom measures 24% and the
wood near the top of the pile measures 14%.

The meter is consistant; it will give the same reading over and over again;
but I am sure if it makes sense.
May in Rochester NY is not all that arid; my wood should not be below 6%.
And my freshly cut wood should not have gone from 24% to 14% in one week.

Do I have a defective meter, or do I not understand something? Thanks.