Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin R

Default Hechinger - use caution

It’s not the same family business that started almost a 100 years ago in
brick and building material recycling. Problems managing a multi-
generational business and competing with the BORG did them in the late
‘90s. They were a beloved business in the Metro DC area for many years,
but in their last few years their service was awful and spoiled their
reputation. Incredibly, someone forked over $100,000 for the brand and
motto “The World's Most Unusual Lumber Yards" reborn as "The World's
Most Unusual Hardware Site."

I truly wish crap like this was unusual!

More info on current name owner at:

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...

If the folks who run this outfit are related to the company of the same
name that used to run home improvement stores in Maryland and other east
coast cities, this report is no surprise. The was, without
qualification, the worst retail experience I've ever had in terms of
service and merchandise. They finally closed their retail stores about
six or eight years ago. I wouldn't buy anything from these folks if
they were the last shop on the web.

A quick look at the web site and sure enough - it's the same guys. I did
some private consulting to Hechinger back in the early 90's and it was a
horribly screwed up company. They had some great technology and clearly
somebody knew what they were doing and had set the company up for some
solid, state of the art operations. Much like what the OP has discovered
with his recent experience, the left hand and the right hand never seemed to
talk to each other though. What should have been a pretty sharp operation
was a flaming disaster.