Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default fire proofing shop

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On 11 May 2006 11:13:15 -0700, wrote:

I have built a two story 30' x 40' stick framed shop. The main
floor is separated into two sections, one which I plan to insulate,
houses my machine tools, the other I use for welding, car repair
etc. Niether area is panelled yet and I tying to decide how I
should go about it. My current idea for the welding area is to cover
the lower 48" with cement board ($30 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and the
remainder with Aspenite covered in flame retardent paint ($11 for a
4 x 8 sheet). I do not want to use drywall because I do not want to
tape it and it will get all bashed up. Does anyone have an opinion
on the flame retardent paint?

Just a suggestion - check out used aluminum printing plates. Cheap!
Covering a wall with this material may not meet code but I challenge anyone
to try and set fire to a wall so covered from normal ambient hazards.

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm