Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default fire proofing shop

Tom Wait wrote:

Use 5/8" type X drywall and top it with FRP paneling. Don't bother to
tape the drywall and offset the seams of the FRP from the drywall seams.
All fire rated, durable and fully washable as well.

Pete C.

In my jurisdiction type X rock needs to be taped to meet code and presumably
to keep the fire away from the studs. I would rock with at least one layer
of 5/8" X D/W,fire tape the whole wall, finish tape from 4'AFF to the
ceiling and run 1/4" tempered masonite along the wall sideways for impact
protection. FRP or glass board would be nice but costs about $24.00 for a
4X8 sheet, ouch! There is another plastic type panel available, I think its
vinyl, at about $8 a sheet. I'm going to investigate that to protect the
walls in my bluing room.

--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop

Yes, the FRP is rather expensive. In one place I know of they did the 4'
high guard section in a high abuse area with 1/8" AL diamond plate.
Pretty darned expensive, but holds up well to palette jack abuse.

Pete C.