Leo Lichtman

Default Dremal tool speed control

Mark Rand wrote: (clip)In other words, get a light dimmer that will handle
the current, one sized at 150 watts will do, and that should do the job. The
universal motor on a Dremmel is quite an inductive load and triacs like that
sort of load, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.
That's odd. Every light dimmer I have ever looked at carries a warning that
it is not to be used with inductive loads. On the other hand, I have
ignored that warning, and have not had problems. I once used a light dimmer
to control the speed of a vacuum cleaner motor I was using as a forge
blower, and it worked perfectly.

I guess the answer is to size the dimmer large enough to stand the
punishment. What do you think?