Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Undfer floor heating in conservatory revisted

On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:29:50 +0100 someone who may be ChrisJ
wrote this:-

Its probably going to be used at the weekends in the spring/ autumn/
winter for the kids to play in and in the evenings in the "summer". If
we want to spend a whole summer evening down there and it gets chilly at
9pm we don't want to have to wait until 11pm for the room to get warm.

Underfloor heating is not something that does rapid changes of
conditions. However, with a suitable control system it will cope
with changes in temperature easily. The ideal control system has
optimum start and stop, using internal and external temperature
sensors. You tell it when the room will be occupied and it will turn
the heating on and off as it thinks fit in order to have the right
conditions when the room is occupied. It will also have weather
compensation built in to cope with autumn/winter/spring conditions.

If you want a system to rapidly warm up the conservatory, as and
when required, then install power radiators. These still need to be
on a separate zone. Control can then be simplified to a time clock,
though you might operate them manually most of the time.

Equally we don't want to have to turn the heating on at 7pm in order to
be warm at 9.

The conservatory should be on a separate zone, with separate
controls. Then the house and conservatory will operate separately,
though the boiler is common.

Also is it a big job to run the wet UFH at different times to the rest
of the house central heating?

Separate channel on your existing programmer, if you have a spare
one. Alternatively a separate controller. This will control valve(s)
or pump(s) and boiler as necessary. The pipework needs to run from a
suitable place, which depends on your pipe layout, to the
conservatory.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh