Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default A bid to make BSI docs more widely available.

"Dave" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
If ordinary people can read for themselves what the rights and wrongs
of a matter this has got to be better than hearing snippets from
BG and CORGI 'priests'.

You can do that down my local Public Library.

Unfortunately, you can only print off ten percent of the content.
I ran into this problem when I wanted to get hold of a B.S. for ladders
for school. I went to my local library and they gave me a PIN number and
told me to go to the central library, where I could brows on line. Not
much good to me when I have to prove to HSE that I am complying with the
reg.

I have never had HSE, or our Quality Auditors, ask to see a copy of a BS to
demonstrate compliance. They have their own copies of any relevant ones and
usually know them off by heart anyway.

Im on the side of Ed on this. If I want to see what a particular act of
parliament says, I can sit and read it in my local library. Why is it not
the same for a B.S?

You have paid the cost of 'free' access to the Act through taxes, but BSI
cannot collect their income that way.

Colin Bignell