DoN. Nichols

Default Replacing bronze headstock bearings

In article ,
Anthony wrote:
(DoN. Nichols) wrote in
:

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:
Martin Whybrow wrote:
Maybe someone might reply if I'm less specific in my subject line
:-)

I'm rebuilding a Myford ML4 (3.75" centre height) lathe at present.
When I bought the lathe I found, too late, that the headstock
spindle and bearings

[ ... ]

I think that it would need to be fitted with a pilot which uses
the other bearing as an alignment aid, too. Two pilots -- one turned
to fit the un-reamed other bearing, and then one turned to use the
just reamed one as a reference while reaming the other bearing.
Something like the reamer setups for camshaft bearings in automotive
engines.

An alternative way to do would be with a bearing scraper and
spotting blue.

[ ... ]

Why not just take the .003 off the spindle OD ? Seems it would be easier
than trying to line bore the headstock.

Because of some of the text which I snipped. He had the scored
bearing surface built up with chrome and ground true and concentric.
Taking off that last 0.003" may take you back to the original metal,
except for chrome in the scores, which would be more likely to split off
and *really* mess up the bearings. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564