Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default joining rail and stile with dovetails. Is this feasible and what do I need?

In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Okay, after all the comments here and on a.b.p.w I've decided this
might not be such a great idea after all. Still think it would look
great. I'll be using quarter sawn oak for the doors (maybe). Have to
think of something else that will be visually different. Doors will
have a kind of 'craftsman style' look. Considered m/t with a
contrasting square pin but I see that done a lot.

I believe doing the dovetail rail and stile joint would be even weaker
on the ends of QS material...

Someone mentioned doing an inlay "butterfly" - I think that could look
quite nice in a contrasting wood. You also might consider doing the ends
with a standard mortise/tenon, use the butterfly there and then do your
true dovetails on the center joints.

Here's a quick pic of dovetails in the middle of a rail:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/dovetail'n'rail.jpg
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05