Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Tingsley

Default collapsed compression joints

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
George Tingsley wrote:

I had a rummage in my fittings box and turned up a few old carded
compression fittings
A few facts quoted from the manufactures which you would hope know more
about their products then a diyforum

By Opella
Usual cleaning info
Apply PTFE tape to male fitting threads only
Hand tighten nut then spanner tighten nut further 1/2 turn 15mm 3/4
turn 22mm
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN- in large print

You earlier quoted the Calor site. Go back to it and see its advice on how
far to tighten a 15mm fitting...;-)

That was a reply to Mr Drivel who says you should not use ptfe tape on
fitting threads and is now drivelling on about leaks from threads I
don't think its worth the effort replying to him he must be your
DIYing brother
You on the other hand don't seem to be able to accept that over
tightening is bad news on compression fittings
Here a few more web pages that contradict your earlier advice that you
should

USE OPEN ENDED SPANNERS AND TIGHTEN THEM TILL THEY GROAN

http://www.technosolution.co.uk/diy/...coppercomp.htm
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ion_joints.htm

So over to you again feel free to point me to any source that agrees
with your advice
or would you now like to admit that you don't know what you are
talking about

--
*Income tax service - We've got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.