Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Default Plan for Basement Electrical Outlets - Feedback Please

No more than 10 plug ins on circuit. Plug ins no further than 6 feet
apart.

You need more plug ins (180 lineal feet divided by 6' = nominal 30 plug
ins.)

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd apprecaite some feedback on my plan for wiring electrical outlets
in my basement (which I'm in the process of finishing)...

I'm finishing about 2/3 of my basement with the remaining 1/3 being a
dedicated storage area. The perimeter of the finished area is about
180 feet and I'm planning on having about 20 recepticals. I will only
be using a fraction of the recepticals at any given time but I just
want to make sure I always have one in the spot I need it, so I'm
throwing in extra ones.

I plan on using 12-2 copper wire with a 20A breaker & 20A rated
outlets. At first I was considering using 14-2 with a 15A breaker but
I'm concerned about voltage drop over my relatively long 180foot run.
The extra cost and hassle of installing the 12-2 is something I don't
have any issues with so I decided to go that route. I'll be routing
the 12-2 through traditional wood frame 2x4 walls I have setup against
my poured concrete basement walls. I have already drilled 3/4 inch
holes in the studs.

I'm installing the outlets so that they are 18inches above the basement
floor and spaced less that 12feet apart (no more than 6feet from a
doorway). The routing of the wiring through the wall is at least
12inches above the outlets.

Any feedback on my plan? Anything I should look out for or consider?
Anything I should watch out for using 12-2 with a 20A breaker?

Thanks,
Kevin