Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Dehumidifier Buildup not melting?

"Lorrie" wrote in message news:YHn8g.5211$zn1.4134@clgrps13...
My dehumidifier keeps frosting/icing up (very, very thick buildup) on the
coils and not melting and going into water pan. I currently wait until there
is quite a build up then turn if off, the buildup melts, then I turn the
unit back on again and repeat.
Why is the build up not melting, I thought the room may not be warm enough
to allow melting. The room is of normal temp about 72 degrees F. Could the
cooling fan be moving the warm air away from the coils, so that the buildup
cannot melt.
This is only my logic, I am assuming this is part of the theory of how a
dehumidifier is suppost to work.
Could there be something mechinical wrong with the unit?
Why is it building up ice and not melting??

I have heard that low refrigerant charge can cause this. You could put it on a timer.
There is one available that allows you to turn something on or off every half hour or hour.
Set it to turn off 1/2 hour or hour every few hours.

Bob