Grant Erwin

Default Replacing bronze headstock bearings

This might be a good application for an adjustable reamer. - GWE

Martin Whybrow wrote:
Maybe someone might reply if I'm less specific in my subject line :-)

I'm rebuilding a Myford ML4 (3.75" centre height) lathe at present. When I
bought the lathe I found, too late, that the headstock spindle and bearings
were badly scored. I bit the bullet and had the damaged spindle hard
chromed and reground. I've fitted a set of good bearings, from a spare
headstock but when I went to fit the spindle, it was very tight, and when
fully home, was almost impossible to turn. I dismantled everything and
measured to OD of the bearings; the original bearings were found to be .003
smaller (measured in the 'sprung open' form) than the ones I used as
replacements; measuring the bore in the headstocks showed the same
difference with the spare headstock having the larger bore.
My question is, what would be the best way to adjust the bearings to size,
do they need to be line-bored after fitting to the headstock?
If you're not familiar with this lathe, the bearings are plain bronze split
bearings mounted in a split headstock bearing housing (not removable bearing
caps).
Martin.