Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default joining rail and stile with dovetails. Is this feasible and what do I need?

Leuf wrote:

On 10 May 2006 14:05:49 -0700, "Mike in Arkansas"
wrote:

I want to do something a little different with my kitchen cabinet
doors. Rather than a cope/stick or mortise/tenon I want to join the
rails to the stiles using dovetail joints. I visualize two dovetails
at each rail to stile junction. The rail/stiles will be about 2 1/4
inch wide. So there would be 4 female parts (pardon my ignorance,
don't know the proper terminology) on the long edge of each stile, 2
near each end. The corresponding rail would have the 2 matching male
parts on each end.

The problem with this is the pins (the female part) will be running
against the grain. It would be easy for the pins to be sheared off
unless they were very wide. You could reinforce it with loose tenons.

-Leuf

Yes, and all glue surfaces will be end grain to long grain--no holding
power there. There is probably a reason that dovetail joints usually
have both pins and dovetails parallel to the grain g.