Posted to rec.woodworking
TT

Default Hechinger - use caution

On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:45:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
.net...

If the folks who run this outfit are related to the company of the same
name that used to run home improvement stores in Maryland and other east
coast cities, this report is no surprise. The was, without
qualification, the worst retail experience I've ever had in terms of
service and merchandise. They finally closed their retail stores about
six or eight years ago. I wouldn't buy anything from these folks if
they were the last shop on the web.

A quick look at the web site and sure enough - it's the same guys. I did
some private consulting to Hechinger back in the early 90's and it was a
horribly screwed up company. They had some great technology and clearly
somebody knew what they were doing and had set the company up for some
solid, state of the art operations. Much like what the OP has discovered
with his recent experience, the left hand and the right hand never seemed to
talk to each other though. What should have been a pretty sharp operation
was a flaming disaster.

And, on the other hand, I placed an order with them when they had some
Jet woodworking clamps for half the normal price. Ordered 4 in the
form of two dual-paks of clamps and received two (one dual-pak)
instead of four. Called and complained and the missing two were
delivered to me. A few days later, the website showed a price exactly
twice what I had paid. My suspicion is that they put the single unit
price on the dual-pak, but at least they honored it and didn't just
cancel the order. Been kicking myself ever since for not ordering a
lot more at the time! YMMV.