Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default joining rail and stile with dovetails. Is this feasible and what do I need?

In article ,
Leuf wrote:

The problem with this is the pins (the female part) will be running
against the grain. It would be easy for the pins to be sheared off
unless they were very wide. You could reinforce it with loose tenons.

Right - you have short grain at the "wide" part of the mortises making
these areas very fragile if they are near the ends of the rails - that's
why dovetails aren't generally used with this type of joinery.

I've done this joinery in the middle of a length of rail but not near
the ends. (I'd think you'd need about an inch or so of solid wood to the
end to make it sturdy enough.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05