Posted to rec.woodworking
Jody

Default joining rail and stile with dovetails. Is this feasible andwhat do I need?

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
I want to do something a little different with my kitchen cabinet
doors. Rather than a cope/stick or mortise/tenon I want to join the
rails to the stiles using dovetail joints. I visualize two dovetails
at each rail to stile junction. The rail/stiles will be about 2 1/4
inch wide. So there would be 4 female parts (pardon my ignorance,
don't know the proper terminology) on the long edge of each stile, 2
near each end. The corresponding rail would have the 2 matching male
parts on each end. Hope thats clear. What would be a good way to make
these joints. I've never used a dovetail jig and it seems to me that
such wouldn't work because of the length of the stiles. Some will be
40 inches long for the upper cabinets. Am I correct about that? Will
any brand of dovetail jig support doing what I want? If not, what kind
of jig would you recommend for doing it? I do enjoy building jigs if
there are plans or ideas for a shopbuilt solution. Open to a purchase
as well. Finally, is this idea even feasible? Some of the uppers will
have glass panels and the rest would probably be a simple flat panel
type door.

That is very easy to do. Just make a box joint jig and use a dovetail
bit and not a straight bit. On the other hand it might be better to use
a straight bit to get rid of most of the material, then use the dovetail
bit. The stile will be the length of the door plus overhang. If your
rails and stiles are 2 1/4 and you cut 1/2" deep dovetails. Take the
width of the door plus the overhang and subtract 3 1/2". Then just use a
rabbit bit if you want to do glass doors. For a panel door do a dry fit
and use a slot cutter. On the top rail you will need a rabbit. Glue the
sides and bottom. Place your panel then glue the top rail.
Should make for a nice looking joint.