Roy

Default Bandsaw blades for Metal

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:00:14 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

===I've found that good blades make a world of difference in how a
===bandsaw performs. I keep being amazed at how well my Milwaukee
===portable works but I think it's mostly the Milwaukee bimetal blades.
===That saw goes thru barstock up to 4" dia far faster than the low-end
===horizontal bandsaws do.
===
===Ditto with the Wilton vertical bandsaw. I was mildly disappointed
===with the saw when I first tried it with the supplied (import) blade,
===but it works beautifully with a Sandvik blade I bought locally.
===
===Figure at least 3 teeth in the cut, choose pitch, rake, speed and
===tooth shape according to thickness and material. Your local
===sawblade purveyor can be a lot of help.
===
===On 16 Nov 2003 19:49:25 -0800, (brownnsharp) wrote:
===
===I just bought a metal cutting horizontal bandsaw (one of those that
===swivel from one end of the saw, takes a 64 inch blade and cuts by
===gravity feed, switching itself off when finished) from my local scrap
===metal yard. Spent the day welding and straightnening things, and am
===ready to cut stuff now. On my vertical bandsaw, I use 6 T/in blades
===for thick steel (1"). A friend of mine said I should use much finer
===teeth on the horizontal saw. Anyone got a list of recommended T/in
===blades for various thickness materials for these saws? What brands of
===saw blades hold up? Anyone tried HF bandsaw blade? Their store is
===really handy-close-by to me. I buy a lot of Harbor freight stuff, but
===I don't buy anything that requires that the alloys or heat treating be
===well-done for it to work. I.e. no pin wrenches, snap-ring pliers, or
===jewelers screwdrivers,for instance. Hence,I am wary of Harbor Freight
===saw blades.
===
===Brownnsharp

I have just had the opportunity to use and play with a Milwaukee Porta
Band saw this past week and I have been really amazed at how well that
thing cuts and at the speed. I have had that blade twisted and
distorted pretty bad trying to make some cuts up under a trailer, and
have yet to break a blade. Its amazingly fast. For my pumy butt its a
might awkward to hold in out or position cutting, but its still aheck
of a sight better than a hand hack saw could ever dream of. Too mad
those things go for asbout $300 or I would definately have me one. I
just hope my buddy is not to much in a hurry to carry it back home
again. It would be great for cutting all my various exercise equipment
steel frames and such apart, instead of hand sawing the stuff or
getting into a jam with the odd ball shapes etc in my Horrible Fright
H?V saw.

He also broungt his Porter Cable Tiger saw. I am also hooked on that
as well. I guess I could probably only talk the better half into one,
and its a tought decision to make. Two different saws, but both
terrific.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.