Grant Erwin

Default Bloody cap screws...

I have never really thought that much of the adhesive aspect of JB Weld.
If I want it to really stick somewhere I put in a pin and then put in the
putty. I once had an old air compressor pump which had some kind of
overpressure thing which blew out. I plugged it with JB Weld, blew right
out. Roughened it, repeated, blew right out again. Then I cross-drilled it
and put in a pin and then put in JB Weld, it's held for 12 years.

I used JB Weld when I molded a new gear tooth. I found that wax was a real
good releasing agent for it. The new tooth has been in service for quite
awhile now and is working fine.

Grant Erwin

MikeM wrote:

"Bob May" wrote in message ...

Ya don't know JBWeld? Where have you been? Go look for it at the local
hardware store and enjoy it.
JBWeld is a hard expoxy that attaches itself quite well to about anything.
It is machinable after cured and does an excellent job for anything under
the typical 250F temp range of epoxies.

Not always. I was making a threaded phenolic bushing for a portable
drill I was overhauling and, not having a piece of phenolic the right
thickness, I decided to laminate two pieces together with JB Weld. Cut
the thread ok and while drilling it, the two pieces separated.
Thinking I had overlooked something, I cut two new blanks and faced
them off, roughened them with medium sandpaper and carefully cleaned
them with lacquer thinner and glued them up again. Same thing happened
again, the pieces came apart at the glue line while drilling it in the
lathe, and this time I had let the glued blank set up overnight in a
warm place. Not wanting to waste more time, I finally found a piece of
material thick enough and made a useable one. JB may have its uses but
apparently it doesn't like cloth-reinforced phenolic.
Mike.