Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default collapsed compression joints

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
Not so. I've taken many apart, which after removing the olive, show
clear signs of the pipe being indented under where the olive was. And
non of them leaked. If you've not seen this I'd say you have little
experience.

The indentation of the pipe makes me to wonder if replacing old olives
when re-using compression joints might not always be a good thing. I'm
wondering what happens if the new olive doesn't line up exactly with the
groove created by the old one, this could lead to a much shorter area of
tight contact with the pipe and perhaps a less reliable seal.

I should point out that not all show obvious signs of indents - just some.

But if you're simply re-making a compression fitting, there's no need to
change the olive.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.