Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Plan for Basement Electrical Outlets - Feedback Please

Basements can be dark. Run a seperate branch for lighting and receptacles,
so if you trip a breaker running a dehumidifier and a skill saw at the same
time, you are not fumbling in the dark. 12-2 is recommended for any
receptacles, #14 should be reserved for lighting IMO. You don't need to pay
extra for 20A receptacles, standard 15A plugs are fine (same for switches)
unless you are dedicating one to a 20A load like an air conditioner.

While you have the walls open, you have a chance to add ventilation for
radon if that is an issue

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd apprecaite some feedback on my plan for wiring electrical outlets
in my basement (which I'm in the process of finishing)...

I'm finishing about 2/3 of my basement with the remaining 1/3 being a
dedicated storage area. The perimeter of the finished area is about
180 feet and I'm planning on having about 20 recepticals. I will only
be using a fraction of the recepticals at any given time but I just
want to make sure I always have one in the spot I need it, so I'm
throwing in extra ones.

I plan on using 12-2 copper wire with a 20A breaker & 20A rated
outlets. At first I was considering using 14-2 with a 15A breaker but
I'm concerned about voltage drop over my relatively long 180foot run.
The extra cost and hassle of installing the 12-2 is something I don't
have any issues with so I decided to go that route. I'll be routing
the 12-2 through traditional wood frame 2x4 walls I have setup against
my poured concrete basement walls. I have already drilled 3/4 inch
holes in the studs.

I'm installing the outlets so that they are 18inches above the basement
floor and spaced less that 12feet apart (no more than 6feet from a
doorway). The routing of the wiring through the wall is at least
12inches above the outlets.

Any feedback on my plan? Anything I should look out for or consider?
Anything I should watch out for using 12-2 with a 20A breaker?

Thanks,
Kevin