Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson

Default Protection Diodes On the Dick Smith Meter

On 2006-05-09 11:20:09 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
said:

hath wroth:

I went ahead and ordered NTE1V014, as the panasonics aren't sold by
mouser. Here is the spec sheet for it:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/10to99/pdf/movs.pdf

Which voltage MOV did you select? My guess(tm) is that the lowest
possible voltage should work.

Would there be any benefit in placing more than one across the leads
(in parallel)?

That would allow the protection MOV to handle more overload power for
a longer time. At some point, methinks a series fuse before the MOV
might be a good idea.

I recommend using a 22V MOV so you can still easily test car batteries
for internal ESR. That is one of the abilities of the DS ESR kit! I
also tested my kit to 350V @20ma.

http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html for my results.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call