Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default Remote Keypad Restorer

"Chris F." wrote in message
I tried adding some MG Safety Wash (a blend of alcohols), it seems to keep
it moist and do the job. The only thing is that the applied product dries a
bit faster, so it may not bond as well to the keypads, only time will tell.
The repairs are rated to 500,000 keystrokes, so if this trick cuts the life
by half, it wouldn't really matter anyway. Chances are the consumer won't
keep the appliance long enough to wear out the repaired keys........

The biggest prob with these rubber keypads seems to be dirty/oily contacts.
I see this much more often than actual worn out contact surfaces. Has
anyone figured out exactly what this oily substance is that leaches out of
the rubber onto the carbon pad and traces? I wonder if it could be residual
mold release being squeezed out of the rubber when pressure is applied. Or
perhaps finger oils somehow filtered thru the soft rubber. Whatever it is,
it takes time and apparently usage to appear. Open up a new remote that's
been on the department store shelf for 2 years and u won't find this. Open
up a 2-year old (or younger) remote that's been used everyday and u likely
will see it.