Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf

Default Where to get ONE 6-40 machine screw?

I can see some utility in the 1/4 40 thread. If you ever wanted to make a
micrometer adjustment on some thing it would come in handy there.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 10 May 2006 09:44:17 -0700,

wrote:
Agreed, 6-32 is an ugly looking thread.
But 10-24 is just as baaaad IMO.
I try to avoid these in stuff I design and build.

Yes. Not for appearance, but the minor diameter is low compared to the
fastener size.

While looking for 6-40 I ran across taps I have, labelled #7-40 and
3/16"-48.

I've got a 1/4-40 tap & die. No idea why. Anyone need it?

Used a 9/32"- 32 tap on a little custom design job where nothing else
would have done.
I like collecting odd-ball taps!

Hm. Got a left-hand 6mm die?