Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Stitch/Spot welding questions

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:37:10 -0500, Mike Berger
wrote:

I hope you're not replacing a 10 megohm potentiometer with a
50K ohm one and no series resistance.

While extending the pots to the front panel might work in
theory, you're doing it in a very noisy environment. It
might induce noise that will affect your timing. Those pots
need to be very close to the circuit board.

Eric R Snow wrote:
The Pause time pot is a 10 megohm and the
Pulse is a 50k ohm device. Since the Pause pot has so much more
resistance it is very hard to finely adjust. I will be replacing it
with a 50k pot. In fact, I am going to replace both pots because the
ones in the kit are trimmer pots and I want the adjustment knobs on
the front of the welder.

I am gonna replace the 10M with a 50K. I will have a trimmer pot is
series though. The way the timer works is that with a 10M pot the max
delay is 60 seconds plus. With a 50K it's about 5 seconds.
ERS