Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default collapsed compression joints

In article .com,
George Tingsley wrote:
But as Calor say in their web page a compression fitting with pipe
olive coupling and nut in perfect condition should not have any gunk
applied to interfere with the mating surface or contaminate the water
or gas supply

Calor show the entire pipe and olive coated with red Hermetite or
something and suggest this prevents the pipe being seated correctly on the
fitting shoulder. Wrapping PTFE round the olive doesn't.

I once went to a gas fire that was not working when I dismantled it I
removed a 6 inch length of ptfe tape that was blocking the jet how that
got inside the pipe only God knows

Probably a 'plumber' making work for a 'mate' later. There's no way it
could get inside the pipe from being wrapped round an olive - unless the
pipe was cut by dribble's hacksaw at his usual 45 degrees.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.