Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Jet mini opinions: VS or not?

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:15:32 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

On Tue, 09 May 2006 08:21:26 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

Have the JET VS mini/midi. Here are some specifics

5" from bed to centers' center lines.

Just want to throw it in for posterity's sake, since it's usually new
turners looking at these.

The 5" distance from bed to center can be a little deceptive- the tool
rest posts on the mini & midi aren't that thick, and they come with a
4" rest. I made some longer toolrests for mine, but they have a
tendancy to vibrate a lot, so I don't use them much. For a lot of
projects, you need to be able to get the banjo under the piece so that
you can use the tool rest. Anybody who already has one probably knows
what I'm talking about, but I never was able to get anything larger
than a 8" bowl out of my midi. Could have got a 10" plate or
something, I suppose- as long as it was less than 2" deep, with a flat
bottom and minimal mounting hardware.

Like I said, nothing most turners don't know, it's just a head's up
for someone looking at getting into the hobby.

Well put... I'll add that if you double that 5", you have the "swing", which
most folks use to compare lathe size.. I think the Jet mini is a 1014?
(10" swing, 14" spindle cap.)

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis