Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about spindle speed

"Speed Kills" is a general truism, but very often "Speed Helps". I don't
need to give examples of the value of speed, but what about spindle
speed in turning wood. I mean cutting and scraping _not sanding and
polishing.

I know that many good woodturners believe it best to work consistently
at speeds way below that necessary for safety and comfort. If it is
best, why is this preferable to turning as fast as the law allows
without being arrested for speeding? For me somehow, turning fast is
more enjoyable and things 'just seem to go better'. YMMV and it probably
does.

I can understand that the _way we turn plays a role in this. Ex: most of
us have to cut slower and deliberately as the tool nears the lower
velocity at the center of a large diameter blank. Since this is owing to
the lesser velocity at the center, it sort of makes my point, but again
YMMV.

_NOT considering sanding and polishing, what are some empiric, practical
and physical reasons for turning wood at a rpm below that which insures
comfort and safety for the turner and doesn't stress the equipment?
OTOH, why is turning at the highest possible rpm any better?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter