Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default I went to a Homier sale today

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
You mean the 4x6 bandsaw that is always out of stock...for years on
end?

I have been to about 3 tent sales. The last two had the saws. YMMV

Or the mini-lathe that they only carry one when they start their
multi-city route?

I have seen minilathes at their tent shows, but wasn't interested at the
tame.

Or the mini-mill that they will not carry on the road show because it
costs too much?

I didn't see one at the last show, and I had gone there looking for one.
They had one on the truck, had not unloaded it. Bought it for $399.
Later saw it was stickered for $339. Went back and they gave me $60 in
refund.

Hopefully Homier is getting better but in the two trips (yeah I know I
should have learned the first time) I made to their traveling circus, I
left disgusted by the lack of inventory and the dismal quality of the
crap they sold.

99% of the stuff they sell is pure crap that I wouldn't take for free.
The machine tools are mostly Sieg, as sold by Grizzly, HF and others.
Now, if you already have decided all Chinese tools are junk, then so be
it. But I have some and they work fine for my purposes. In fact, I
have found myself turning to my 10" Enco lathe more than my 9" Logan,
for projects that really matter.

When pressed, one of their company men admitted that
they use the traveling roadshows to resell the returns that customers
refuse.

I don't believe that. At any given tent sale there are 2 or 3 people
that have a clue - the permanent employees. The rest are vagrants that
are likely to tell you anything that pops into their feeble brains.

If you want a real eye opener, get there really early and watch their
"professional staff"...set up the place between their appointments with
Jack Daniels and Have Bong Will Travel.

Oh yeah, they hire local day labor. Reminded me of the parking-lot
carnival crews.