Posted to uk.d-i-y
G.W. Walker

Default collapsed compression joints

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
G.W. Walker wrote:
I've happily used PTFE on olives in the past as well,
but I can see how it might not create a perfect seal.
Unlikely a sealing compound, PTFE isn't liquid, and so
there's a chance that as you tighten the joint, the
PTFE will rip and you'll end up with PTFE around most
of the olive, but with a gap somewhere that could allow
a small leak.

So no different from a paste, etc? That will also rub off from high spots.

Who knows, TBH? My thinking was that a paste has almost
no mechanical strength, and will get evenly smeared,
but that tape could resist spreading due to its own
strength, but I'll happily admit that this is utter
conjecture on my part.

Sounds like a nice 4th year project for an engineering
student ;-)

G.