Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Tingsley

Default collapsed compression joints

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
George Tingsley wrote:
picture of what will happen if you over tighten a compression fitting
http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/boa...on_fitting.htm

Interesting they reckon finger tight on a dry 1/2" fitting then 1 1/4
turns. Seems more likely than the less than one turn or so spouted on here.

The is no torque guide listed from compression fitting manufactures
there are also different shapes of olives both copper and brass which
in theory need a different amount of force to affect a satisfactory
seal
Buy an isolating valve and length of copper pipe from Homebase as many
diyers may do the supplied olives are the worst I have ever seen and
the pipe is the softest I have ever come across
even light pressure will push the olive deep into the pipe and make a
watertight seal impossible
3/4 of a turn is a good starting point and works for most fittings
try it

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.