Posted to sci.electronics.repair
trigon

Default bump n go robot help?

Thanks, the toy i am talking about is even simpler than that, I have
described it further in a reply to my original post. There are no
electronics involved in the bump and go mechanism. Sorry I did not describe
this as a toy in my original post.

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Don't know the specific design...but-there should be a spring loaded
contact ring around the base or a set of inertia switches internally
that momentarily reverse one of the drive motors on impact. However it
is configured, the offending device is stuck 'ON'. Perhaps a broken
spring, or the unit was dropped and an inertia switch is stuck. Or, no
fault with the sensing circuits; one of the drive motors is dead, thus
it only spins.
JR

trigon wrote:

Can anyone here help me with a problem I have with a 1980's bump n go

robot,
the bump n go is purely mechanical and I don't have a very good

mechanical
mind so I am not quite sure how this works, I have spent an hour

searching
the net but have had no luck finding any info on how this mechanism

works or
what to do if it has a problem. Anyhow the problem is that the robot

mostly
spins on the spot, I presume it is suppose to go straight until it hits

an
obstacle. I can see how everything else works but can't figure out how

it
achieves the bump n go. So if someone could either point me in the right
direction or help me out directly it would be much appreciated. I would
really like to find a webpage that describes how this works.