Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Outdoor Wood Question ?

wrote in message

I no longer build decks, and the reason
is that the material we buy is so poor that I wind up with a lot of
warranty work. I don't like the product and neither do my clients
after a couple of years.

But if I built a deck for myself, I would probably do one of two
things: try to find some kiln dried pressure treated and/or use
synthetic decking for the walking surface with wood for rails, steps,
etc.

Why not use mahogany, ipe, or cypress? No chemicals, long lasting, high
quality. Expensive, but will last a very long time. I'm told Ipe will last
50+ years with no treatment, double that with some care like a coat of
Penofin every few years.