Posted to alt.home.repair
Ross Payne

Default Freon Leak in Central A/C

Thanks Pete. I was not aware that Freon was so harmless, and thought it
might be toxic. My intent is to have the coils replaced, but just not right
now (cost for one thing, and also it isn't leaking that bad).

Ross
"Pete C." wrote in message
Ross Payne wrote:

I had my a/c (Trane) checked today, and it needed just under a pound of
Freon. It leaked out over the course of a year (I know this because it
was
serviced a year ago). The leak is probably coming from the coils, which I
would rather hold off on replacing for a few months. My question is this:
when Freon leaks from the system, where does it go? Is it possible for it
get into the air that blows into the house?

--
Ross Payne

It goes into the environment immediate surrounding the leak which in the
case of the evaporator coil is in the air handler where it will be blown
into the house.

Other than the wasted Freon and perhaps EPA police, why would you care?
Freon is 100% harmless to pretty much everything unless it's in such a
quantity that it displaces oxygen which is real unlikely in a house with
a house sized A/C unit. Indeed Freon is a component in most aerosol
inhalers which are intended for direct inhalation.

Pete C.