Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default DIY controversy

On 9 May 2006 06:24:00 -0700, "Boothbay" wrote:

I've been watching these shows..such as Selling your home and etc, both
with DIY and Home and garden. I tried to get info on how they choose
there 'clients' or do the clients ask them for their services. Last
show on DIY showed this segment of a couple updating their cottage to
sell. All for the price of $2000. ..which is amazing to me, for the
work that was done. They do not include the salaries the experts that
they send over to do the estimating and work. I know the owners pay the
$2000, but what about the cost of those workers? Is that gratis on the
part of DIY and HG? A new front door in this case was quoted at the
price of $184...in my area, the installation would cost almost double
that. I also noticed that these homes are in rural areas. I would love
for them to come to my house and fix it up for $2000. What are those
chances?

There are somewhere between 75 million and 150 million homes in the
USA, and iiuc they do 24 or 28 homes a year. So that makes your odds
better than winning the multi-state Lotto. But like they say, you
have to play to win. So you probably have to do something to get
noticed.